I am one of those people that do not moan about their classes. Well not much. It seems this time around its kind of harder to do. Holy paladins are changed, but I am not sure yet if they are 'damaged'. Let’s review what I did do once I went 'live' and how that did work out...
Rebuilt the Gui to the state it was minus Satrina Buff Frames. I currently do not have anything informing me about procs and transient states appart from the default 'Power auras' and some Pitbull 4 notations. This defo needs tweaking...
Bought some new Glyphs as per Rohan's advice which I found quite useful.
Now the hard part...
I tweaked my Haste, Critical and Mastery to the following (unbuffed):
- Haste 728 (quite low by some reports for 4.0.1, more than adequate for 3.X)
- - Crit 39% (probably could do with less as crit is less usefull now)
- - Master ~10% (this is new territory and current reports state that logs do not measure absorbsion - need to check)
With those options and the same talent trees Rohan suggested (31,0,5) I participated in a guild run in ICC, doing some heroic modes.
My reports are:
Paladin healing is, obviously, very different - it looks like we need some time to adjust to the new paradigm. Main changes went from a Pace-type of healing (FL repeatedly for minor damage, HS+Glyph for larger damage+splash, Beacon, shields etc) to a more synergetic style. Holy shock is our secondary resource "counter", Word of Glory is our mana-free-instant counter reset-er and we now have 3 core 'time' heals:
- Divine Light (expensive, slow and very-high-output)
- Holy Light (cheap, average-to-small output)
- Flash of Light (expensive, ultra-fast, high-output)
Coupled with the aforementioned:
- Holy shock (mana based, instant, procs Holy Power)
- Word of Glory (Holy Power based, instant, procs acute pain to my fingers...)
We are much less 'capable' than other healers when it comes to healing meters. I am having trouble determining what our niche is with the current build and I hope this will change within the next few weeks and hopefully some correcting tweaks. Instant (therefore extremely situational) heals in small-damage scenarios (damage either was small or other healers very fast) feels kinda... "where do I fit in"... Last but not least, it is ESSENTIAL to built the UI in an informative way. It may take a couple of runs to adjust to "looking for the right things"
- I am having trouble detecting our niche
- I need time to learn and put inside my head the timings
- I need to gain some experience with the new synergies
- We need to 'measure' Mastery - I am not sure there is a reliable method there. Kinda makes me feel like a Disc Priest
- I need to make our UIs assist 'counting' and 'pacing'
And I most definitely need to do a few more runs with an alternative build to be able to have a better insight on how the new Holy Paladin paradigm feels. I am particularly intrigued by Eternal Glory and the possibility of chain-casting WoG (which if it does happen it will be eventually nerfed "to the ground"). All in all, I am sure we will be tweaked as things are noticeable inefficient and things look less favourable for the time being. But I could be wrong...