Thursday 5 March 2009

On Lore progression

In the past I mentioned briefly my love for the Warcraft lore and how I am totally hooked on certain stories. TBC was relatively shallow when it comes to lore as we got to kill certain important figures without truly exploring their past. Those figures were mainly from the most popular Warcraft period for many - that of WC3. They eventually got to be end-bosses where we 'killed' them (and one case re-'killed' them :p) without some justification in regard to their past actions. Or at least not enough. We never get to see the past of the Illidan brothers and their relation to Tyrande, the relationship of Jana, Kael and Arthas, the importance of Lady Vashj in the elf lore (and possibly a future expansion with Azshara). But we did get to see Kil'Jaeden and that is quite big :p

Wotlk changes this to a large extent with visions of Arthas' past, the active involvement of the Dragons (which in the books/lore are all over the place affecting our future - and sometimes our past), the Bronzebeard brothers, King Varian and his return, a very interesting development in Wrath gate, the return of the Ashbringer and Tirion, the tension between Alliance and Horde etc. Lore is all over the place and things crop up as we go deep in Northrend. Even some `loose ends' like Matthias Lehner, or Bolvar Fordragon are quite prominent and make lore-aficionados work their minds overtime with assumptions and predictions.

And now Ulduar comes...

For those that have seen the relative information on Yogg-Saron, recently published, we get to see various important points of the lore with some interesting mechanics. We get to see `hidden' messages, we get to wonder why, what, how and when and possibly we get to see what happened to some of those 'loose ends'.

I wont spoil the fun with details etc, you can always go look if you are interested. What I know is we are much more involved in the story now. One story that slowly comes to its conclusion (or not), closing some of the remaining chapters of WC3. And quite possibly a few new threads, generated, that in will return spin-off to new paths.

All I know is that now is the time to enjoy the story; more than ever in World of Warcraft.

P.S. Picture source

4 comments:

Jong 5 March 2009 at 18:29  

I didn’t know lady vashj and kil’jaden were important historical figures. I’d like to get a sense of the general story lines, but most of the times, I don’t know what’s going on. I walked into ulduar to see the stuff and hodir was there. Why are we fighting him? I’m friends with his sons.

Panos 6 March 2009 at 09:27  

Vashj was Azshara's primer servant and a cunning - as you know - archer. One of the prominent Highborn.

Kil'Jeaden is one of Sargeras leutenants along with Archimonde.

As far as why we need to get Hodir... well there are fragments of information but it will become clearer as we go along.

Averna 8 March 2009 at 04:49  

When I leveling in TBC (note: I leveled late, everyone was definitely already 70 and pushing into Mt. Hyjal), I had *no* idea what was behind the lore. Go kill these plagued ogres for this quest? Sure.

But I never stopped to ask myself: Why kill them? Why are they plagued in the first place? What's going on here?

I took my time leveling from 70-80, and really read each quest line... and boy am I glad I did. It's so much more enjoyable when you understand at least parts of what's going on =)

World of Warcraft Gold Guides 7 May 2009 at 22:24  

good post :)

  © Blogger template 'Ultimatum' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP