Tuesday 12 May 2009

Why the bloody hell do we go in Ulduar?

Sometimes I wonder if its a good thing or a bad thing not having anything `juicy' to write in my blog. You see, I often report either good/positive or bad/negative news. If everything is...yikes!...`normal'... nothing to report.

Escape has been progressing steadily, facing today Mimiron seeking to complete the Keepers of Ulduar achievement. Freya was freed this week for the first time and although we got only 3 raid days per week we seem to make the best of them. Our 10-man groups also do well, with the most 'advanced' one facing Yogg-Saron.

On the solo front, I have been leveling fishing, (around 390 nowadays), doing some dailies in case I do get that chopper (yes, I still haven't crafted that for me...) and collecting my Argent Tournament badges for future use and rep with Silver Co. I already spent the first 50 on the Stormwind tabard but the damn thing depicts the guild's tabard when you are guilded. Still, I wait patiently till they fix it, I think its the most `definitive' tabard for Lance.

Nonetheless, one of the things that have been bothering me for some time is...why?

Why the bloody hell do we go in Ulduar, why do we participate in AT. Ok, in `game-terms' we do it for the loot, the fun, the progress. But what is the justification for our characters, our toons. The Ulduar cinematic did give some... political background in the whole story. But being an old player that have gone through the quest lines for Onyxia, Molten Core, AQ and even the old Naxx (although I never set foot in it)... I was used in having a background story, something to support why I am going there. Although Wotlk arguably placedt the players deeper in the story-lines, I feel that Blizzard kinda missed something when it came to Ulduar. Unless I am missing something - dazed from the endless coding in a tcl/tk 'clone' for work' - there is not even an NPC to direct you there. Someone to say, `oh shit, Yoggy is loose, the shit is about to hit the fan so we need someone to grab him and turn that fan facing Arthas bedroom...'!.

Or... maybe there is something and I missed it
...but then again...
...I shouldn't and if I did, its not my fault alone...

4 comments:

Curtis 12 May 2009 at 17:20  

Holypaladin.net has a post on the lore of Ulduar:

http://www.holypaladin.net/index.php/ulduar-lore-who-is-yogg-saron-anyway

Averna 14 May 2009 at 18:10  

Psst, I tagged you!!!

http://www.nerfthisdruid.com/2009/05/what-do-you-remember-about-being-newbie.html

Averna 14 May 2009 at 18:11  

Also, I forget if I already posted that (the "hey I tagged you") on one of your blog posts. If I did, apologies! If I didn't, then, hey, now you know!

Panos 25 May 2009 at 11:56  

@ Curtis

An interesting lay-out of things, yet I always felt there was something missing in why you enter Ulduar in the first place. Its there, I just expected more impact. But then again I might have been a bit detached from the lore of the game for some time due to RL :p

  © Blogger template 'Ultimatum' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP